Tuesday 20 November 2012

Trio Boating aka Ménage à trois

After a little bit of research on the forecast we decided that the lakes was on, by on we meant full on. So we decided to go paddling, meeting at sheds at the traditional 7:30am. Myself (Liam), Earnie and Greg set off.

We drove to the Troutbeck, it was too low despite there being a heavy rainfall the night before.

We then drove to Grizedale Beck, after some inspection, we got our kit on and met an interesting local. One crutch one walking stick, he was a character. After saying that he hasn’t seen many, in fact any paddlers on this section we were stoked!
First section was low and slotty, we all styled it spectacularly. I came out backwards. And there were some loud sounds from paddles and boats meeting rock.

We then got to the first main fall.
"Extreme Gradient. Overhanging trees, fallen trees” said the guide.

Wasn’t an underestimate, Greg styled the first main drop, then on the slot not so much but got away unscathed.
I however got pinned on the first drop, after raping my boat I became free, did the first slide and had a breather, went for the second slot and spectacularly got it wrong falling head first down it. I then ended up facing back upstream with the water rushing over my head. Less than ideal, I jumped into Greg’s arms, a little man love later, we set about unpinning Shirley the Shiva. 5 different trees it took to get the best angle, we managed to get it off. 5 to 1 mechanical advantage with three burly guys pulling on it.



Anyway then Earnie and Greg paddled down some smaller but just as steep slides to the get out, but decided against getting out and then we all got lost for a few hours.

Then at 3pm we decided to drive back to the Troutbeck for a short blast down. Fearing it may still be a bit low and disappointing we got there and it was in the trees, over the trees and around them, bigger than any of us had run it before.

IT WAS AWESOME, was like being flushed down a toilet for about 5-6km, and it was meaty.

We all hopped each other, and after watching Earnie get thrown from the very right to the left and back again I braced and it was epic. At this point it was getting dark and this was hard to see. I ended up getting a cheeky eddy, breaking back in I caught some serious speed and ended up ramming Greg’s boat with Shirley and kindly knocking him through the large hole (what a guy!)  I stopped for some playtime. I didn’t want to play, and got played with for quite some time, after an unintentional loop and a roll I was popped out in a big way, and hit my head several times whilst underwater, on my back deck I pushed myself out of my boat and then swam. Shirley the filthy tree hugger is still in the Troutbeck attached to a tree.
I had to go run the shuttle as it was now pitch black, good job I had my trusty scooter to make the shuttle quicker, and somewhat scarier than the river itself. 

The pieces were found. Two boats racked on the car, and a quick call to the police meant we were on our way home.
Hence, why I need to go paddling in the lakes again this week to retrieve my boat.

All in all a great day out, if a little expensive for me.
Now for the double bootie beer.

Liam

No comments:

Post a Comment