Tuesday 25 October 2016

North-West Polo Tournament October 2016

The day started off with a nice trip down to sheds. I got my first ride in Andy’s new car and I can confirm it is a car and it is blue. We had great fun packing 3 boats and a full teams worth of kit into and onto the car, I learned that the boat isn’t strapped securely to the roof until you’ve heard 3 cracks.  A slight bombshell was dropped to me that my beloved polo boat was probably going to sink by halftime due to the fuckoff hole in the bottom.
                We arrived at the docks bright-eyed and bushy-tailed and just a bit smug at having slept til 9 whilst other teams had gotten up at 6am to be here. After a quick recce, we sadly realised there was no bacon for us to buy and eat, so we instead got to the time-honoured tradition of getting changed in a carpark.
                Opting for being warm over looking cool we also decided to be cag wankers. Thankfully, so did everyone else.
                Once on the water we started off on our way onto the pitch, only to be called back by Sam who needed help with his deck. It turns out Sam’s deck was a 3 man job, one of those men including the referee. After a small delay, we were ready for the off. Our first game was against the Salford Dragons, who told me that next time they will be aptly named the Salford PoloBears. We had made a pact to not bin each other, but I sadly forgot to mention that to Tolly and Andy…
                Halfway through the game I actually remembered how to play polo, and soon after that remembered how exhausting it is. Luckily, our opposition weren’t forming much of a defence, leaving such a huge space that even I managed to score a goal. Our first game saw a goal from each member apart from the polo sec, who was suitably ridiculed.
                We returned to Andy’s car triumphant, me especially as my boat hadn’t sunk, so I wouldn’t have to spend the next 5 polo sessions trying to fit into a different one. Andy was left to referee the carnage of the following game which included a tremendous amount of paddle fouling (for those non-polo players, hitting people hard in the face with your paddles). We revived ourselves with Haribo and tea and were soon ready for our 2nd match.
                This time we were prepared for the terror that was Sam’s tiny deck, and with guidance from Andy, John, Sam and I were able to get it on. Alice joined the team for our 2nd game which was against Bangor, whom I have always hated, especially that beardy number 11… With Alice on our side we seemed an unstoppable force of nature until we let a goal in. And then Sam got binned and nearly drowned because he couldn’t get his deck off. And then I got binned IN TIMEOUT BY THAT BEARDY PRICK #11. I do not recommend drinking the Mersey. Down to a 4 man team I think we stormed it as we somehow got 3 goals in whilst I was having a nice paddle around Liverpool docks. Sadly, Sam never got back in the game due to deckgate.
                Our 3rd match was against FOA E team. I was scared. I’ve heard FOA is good. I got to the pitch. 2 members of FOA E were 13. Another was 60. Terrifying. At one point I thought we were going to be murdered, or worse, lose. Luckily, I had team mates who aren’t scared of preteen Scousers and we pulled through.
                All that remained was to get changed (I decided to move away from the family in the car next to us) and take boats back to sheds.
                Massive LUCC pride, we won 3 out of 3 games, AND I didn’t cry when I got binned. Result.


                LUCC love, Breeshey (Breesh-UH) xx

No comments:

Post a Comment